A WEIRD EXPERIENCE

The word « Carambolages » for an exhibition is surprising, to say the least. In English we would say "multiple crash", « pileup" and refer to a car crash. In French too I might add. I had read very little about the exhibition in the Grand Palais and what I had read, confused me. I was right next to the centre yesterday. The exhibition had just started and not a soul in sight. 

I did know that there were 200 and more works of art. I walked into th first very dark gallery. Came back and ask where the documentation was. It was so dark I couldn’t see it. As there was a free application to down-load, I did that - which took a little time in the dark. There seemed to be parallel galleries and in the first one, I didn’t have the foggiest what I was looking at. We were told to use our eyes, imagination and interpretive skills. Artists think visually and draw their references from universal art. That is a topic of conversation l had frequently at the dinner table with my mother. In her collage period she used to say something like this.

« I choose the pieces and the scatter them on the floor and they do the rest ».


Erro "La peinture en groyupes. Les Origines de Pollock; 1967
Certainly her work was unusual and she liked surprises. I began to see that this was what I was looking at…..something very unusual. Surprising… 

The presentation is arranged in a continuous sequence where each work depends on the previous one and announces the following one. Just follow the arrows. Was this to improve our knowledge of the art world? I still wasn’t too sure. There application on my iPhone gave no explanation of the works just music (and sometimes very good) for the gallery in question….1 to 27…

Then I came upon this picture….stopped. Went on and came back…..so many references to so many works that l know. Did l find it  entertaining or amusing to look at them?


Frustrating to be honest. It took me quite a while to figure out what l knew or what l didn’t. 

So we were supposed to follow the arrows, look at each painting, sculpture, africana art and then see how WE felt it related to the next piece or led us on from what we had just seen. This meant stopping at each one…that is not for me. Too linear. If someone is in front of a painting, l hop onto the next and then come back. 

There were no titles but at the end of each narrow gallery a video showed us what we had seen….more pictures or objects were added as we went along. Very difficult to photograph - l didn’t but l did photograph each work that interested me. There were four videos and I was pushed out of the way by some woman who was an avid spectator.

For this moving picture I might add.....it is not perhaps for young eyes!












Ambroise Crozat : La Vision de Zacharie - 1722

Zhenmu shou "monstre gardien de tombe"



Katsushika Hokusai "Le Fontôme de Kohada Koheiji" 1831-32

Joseph Deutsch, "Plateau de déjeuner solitaire" 1773

Wim Delvoye "Double Helix Crossed Crucifix" 2008





Boltanski

Katsushika Hokusai "Le Fantôme d'Oiwa-san" 1831-32

Coffret Reliquaire XVlll

Annette Messager ""'Gants-Tête" 1999

Bernard Lavier - Walt Disney

Coupe Polychrome pértiode V, 850-1000 and Ornament de danse

Hergé


Jan Fyt (reproduced work) Chien couché à la chaîne XVll°



Jean Jacque Lagrenée le Jeune : "Bold en forme de sein présumé de Marie Antoinette: 1788

Artémis deEphèse -Rome antique


Plat à godrons, XVll°

Cr^ne de cheval, Nigeria XlX° et crâne sur modelé .Vanuatu



Tirge hongroise à décor de pois, XVl°



Anorak inptiat or yup'ik Alaska - début xx°

La Grande Ourse, le Soleil et la Lune" XlX° Korean


Jean Huber, "Le Lever dit Huber Voltaire" 1772

Retable "Napoléon" XlX°

Muarizio Catalon "Good Versus the Bad" Chess game


Fritz Kahn "L'homme comme palais de l'industrie" 1926





Gloria Fiedmann "Absurdisan" 2010



Ingres "Léda et le cygne" XlX°

Francois Boucher, "La Jupe relevée" 1742

Dyptique satirique 1520-30

Dominique-Ingres "Les Trois Femmes au bain" XlX°




arbalète de chasse 1560-1570

giacometti




Louis-Léopold Boilly, "Trompe-l'oeil, XVlll°-XlX°

Femme vu de dos disséquée de la nuque -

Duc de Biron, en paon:  Louis-Antoine de G







Bras reliquaire de Saint Luc de Toulouse, 1336-38

Main : hommage à S: Farid Belkahia, 1980

Like those men who seem to be suspended in air...


The « Connaissance des Arts » regrouped the works in different sections. Some works were explained but certainly not the 200. Forgive me then if I just show you what stopped me in my tracks but not necessarily as a relationship to what l had seen before or what l was seeing then. The reasons why I stopped are vary varied. Also titles are hard to come by and although l have done some research, a few are missing.... Over to you to discover your references and see if you « see things » that l haven’t. 



Gilles Barbier, Anatomie trans-schizophrène - 1999


And here is a small video on the exhibition itself....


  

Commentaires

Michael Keane a dit…
Sometimes I wonder whether an exhibition is more inspirational as a series of examples of one artist's work, or as a 'pileup' of diverse and unrelated images leaving the viewer to - as it were - fill in the blanks.

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

CONFLICTS AND ENCOUNTERS OF MULTIPLE HISTORIES

THE OLDEST PROFESSION IN THE WORLD…………

MY BELOVED PICASSO -I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS -